Tango 10.0 installer for Windows

Hello everyone,

I saw a few days ago the announcement for Tango 10.0 and wanted to give it a try by downloading the Windows installer from TangoSourceDistribution repository

I tried to run Pogo and nothing happened. I dig a few minutes and saw the followings:
  • start-pogo.bat script seems to have several issues:
    • JAR file are now stored in TANGO_ROOT/share/java instead of TANGO_ROOT/share/tango/java
    • pogo preference files are now located in %TANGO_ROOT%\share\pogo\preferences instead of %TANGO_ROOT%\pogo\preferences
    • JAR setup to be used by java is Pogo-9.6.31 but embedded version of POGO does not mention its version (Pogo.jar)
    • pogo templates are missing (%TANGO_ROOT%\templates)
  • I checked my previous install of the 9.5.0 version and see also the following folders missing from %TANGO_ROOT%:
    • doc
    • ressources
    • win64
  • The %TANGO_ROOT%/lib and %TANGO_ROOT%/include folders are also quite empty compared to the 9.5.0 folder (1/4th less header files and missing debug library for example)

I copied several of the files from that previous install and modified the bat file but the Pogo version seems to be too new for my old Java 8 (version 9.7 or above I guess) so I got the 9.6.31 back and made it run. I created a new device and generate the visual studio project (vc12)

At this point, I do not know if the following points are related to what I did or to the 9.5 or 10.0 version but I'll write them bellow:
- generated visual studio project is VC12 where Tango-cpp 10.0 says its cpp17 which then shall be used with Visual Studio 2017 I guess
- in VS projet, libraries are still pointing in the win64/lib and win64/include folders

So now I would say that I shall stop and try to get some information about that installer version.
Is it stable? Shall I wait a bit more? Will there be an official announcement for that?

Thank you for reading me so far
Guillaume DI FRANCO
Thales - Software Engineer Manager
Edited 3 days ago
Thanks for testing the new windows installer. The things you found sound like bugs. Would have been nice to fix them during our 3 month rc phase though.

> I tried to run Pogo and nothing happened. I dig a few minutes and saw the followings:
> - start-pogo.bat script seems to have several issues:
> - JAR file are now stored in TANGO_ROOT/share/java instead of TANGO_ROOT/share/tango/java
> - pogo preference files are now located in %TANGO_ROOT%\share\pogo\preferences instead of %TANGO_ROOT%\pogo\preferences
> - JAR setup to be used by java is Pogo-9.6.31 but embedded version of POGO does not mention its version (Pogo.jar)
> - pogo templates are missing (%TANGO_ROOT%\templates)

Please report that to https://gitlab.com/tango-controls/TangoSourceDistribution. As you have already identified the issues, it would be great if you could provide a MR fixing it.

> I checked my previous install of the 9.5.0 version and see also the following folders missing from %TANGO_ROOT%:
> - doc
> - ressources
> - win64
> The %TANGO_ROOT%/lib and %TANGO_ROOT%/include folders are also quite empty compared to the 9.5.0 folder

Separate issue please, I'll have a look.

> I copied several of the files from that previous install and modified the bat file but the Pogo version seems to be too new for my old Java 8 (version 9.7 or above I guess) so I got the 9.6.31 back and made it run. I created a new device and generate the visual studio project (vc12)

Yes pogo now requires a newer Java version.

> At this point, I do not know if the following points are related to what I did or to the 9.5 or 10.0 version but I'll write them bellow:
>- generated visual studio project is VC12 where Tango-cpp 10.0 says its cpp17 which then shall be used with Visual Studio 2017 I guess
>- in VS projet, libraries are still pointing in the win64/lib and win64/include folders

First of all cppTango's cpp17 means that it requires C++17, the only supported compiler is Visual Studio 2022. The VS project generation in POGO has probably bit-rotted and there are no plans to fix it AFAIU. Nearly all of tango's cpp code is nowadays using cmake to build, so it is probably best if you'd switch to cmake as well if you can. See also https://gitlab.com/tango-controls/cppTango/-/blob/main/INSTALL.md?ref_type=heads#using-cmake-package-support-in-packages-requiring-tango.
t-b
Please report that to https://gitlab.com/tango-controls/TangoSourceDistribution. As you have already identified the issues, it would be great if you could provide a MR fixing it.

Hi and thank you for your quick answer. I forked the project, commit/pushed my change and created a MR which is now in the MR pipeline, pending.

t-b
First of all cppTango's cpp17 means that it requires C++17, the only supported compiler is Visual Studio 2022. The VS project generation in POGO has probably bit-rotted and there are no plans to fix it AFAIU. Nearly all of tango's cpp code is nowadays using cmake to build, so it is probably best if you'd switch to cmake as well if you can.

We use VS both for its debugging tool and for legacy purposes as many projects and subprojects are made using VS. As long as the generated VS project does not need too much work to run, we will be fine with it.
Guillaume DI FRANCO
Thales - Software Engineer Manager
Edited 3 days ago

Register or login to create to post a reply.